President Barack Obama
The White House
Thanks for the recent e-mail about your 2012 campaign, which mentioned my financial and other support of your election in 2008, and requested that I redouble my efforts on your behalf this time around.
Unfortunately, I cannot do that.
We've always known that lasting change wouldn't come quickly or easily. It never does. But as my administration and folks across the country fight to protect the progress we've made -- and make more -- we also need to begin mobilizing for 2012, long before the time comes for me to begin campaigning in earnest.
A quick review of the progress you've made turns up:
* continuation of the wars we elected you to end and the addition of a new one, initiated with the same kind of subterfuge and deception your predecessor used before invading Iraq. (A shady deal with Saudi Arabia to look the other way if it invaded Bahrain, provided the Saudis would muscle their Arab League cronies to support a bid for a UN "no-fly zone" over Libya. For shame!)
* continuation of, and then worsening of, your predecessor's denial of constitutional rights to citizens illegally detained at Guantanamo.
* continuation of your predecessor's illegal surveillance of U.S. citizens under the unconstitutional so-called Patriot Act.
* strengthening the corporate hold on all branches of government, until the last faint ember of democracy flickers and dies.
* total cave-in to a Congressional minority on health care, the economy and unemployment.
* summoning John Boehner to the White House, presumably to sell out to Tea Pot Republicans on funding for social services in order to pay for the sins of the filthy rich bankers who are raking in record bonuses on Wall Street since you bailed them out of a crisis of their own making.
Barry, old buddy, I fell for your eloquent line of bovine excrement once.
As your predecessor once tried to say, but typically messed up, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
My conscience will not permit me to support your re-election.
(These comments appeared in Grasroots Press, which frequently re-posts commentary from A Bordello Pianist).
I agree with everything you say here, Mr. Wark.
But until there is a viable 3rd party to the left of the Democratic Party, I will hold my nose and vote for whomever is a Democrat — and that includes Obama.
I believe that much of Presidential elections are about the Supreme Court whose appointments are for a lifetime. We can hardly go any farther to the right on the Supreme Court, but we still have four votes to temper the out-of-control corporatist righties.
And there is some movement to the left within many of the agencies who regulate our health, safety, and environment — although not as much as I would like.
So as usual, I will be holding my nose and voting for the lesser of two evils — I’m just not willing to accede the future to the right.
Mr. Wark, there is a choice. Obama versus–Trump/Palin/Bachmann. Not difficult, actually.